5 Top Vape Pens for Wax in 2019
The consumption of wax, a potent type of concentrated cannabis extract, has long required a messy and sometimes cumbersome process. Luckily, the rise of wax vape pens and portable vaporizers have made it easier – and cleaner — than ever to vape wax products without fuss or mess. If you’re looking for a clean and mobile way to vaporize wax, a wax vape pen could be the right product for you.
What is a Wax Pen?
A wax pen is an electronic vaporizer designed specifically to work with cannabis extracts that fall under the umbrella term “wax.” These highly potent products include light and airy concentrates like budder, as well as dry, dense, soft forms such as crumble.
For decades, the dominant way to consume wax was to “dab” it by using a dab rig and heated metal nail, a process that wasn’t well-suited for flexible use. The advent of wax pens and portable vaporizers, however, has made vaporizing wax more accessible for casual consumers, and enables those consumers who prefer wax to have increased mobility.
How Does a Wax Pen Work?
Wax vape pens work in much the same way as other vaporizers. In most models, a battery delivers electricity to the heating element, which in turn warms. Either through direct contact or indirect air flow, the heating element warms the loaded wax to its boiling point, which vaporizes it. Then, the vapor is inhaled through the device’s mouthpiece. Depending on the model, the vapor may travel through a vapor path before it’s inhaled.
The process begins with loading your wax into the vaporizer. Every model differs slightly, but most wax vapes have a small chamber either located beneath the mouthpiece or on the opposite end of the device. Always consult the device owner’s manual to make sure you are packing your device properly to avoid damaging it. Most wax vapes require a very small amount, about 0.1 grams of material, to be loaded into the chamber. Some models include a tool to help you place the wax in the vaporizer. Replace the oven lid once your wax is placed in the chamber.
After loading your wax vape, turn on your device and select your desired temperature setting. The optimal temperature range for vaporizing wax is between 315°F and 450°F. Some models work better if you “prime” them, meaning you pre-heat your vape to allow a small amount of wax to melt before you begin your session. Once your vape has reached the chosen temperature setting, you can begin vaping until the wax you loaded into the chamber is depleted.
After a session, it is wise to allow your vaporizer to cool and then clean it. Every device is different, but cleaning your vaporizer usually involves using a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue left behind by your material. The same tool used to load material may be used to scrape out remaining wax. The chamber may need to be warmed slightly to help loosen residual material. Wax is particularly sticky and messy, so it’s especially important to regularly clean wax vaporizers. Again, always consult your device owner’s manual to be sure you are properly maintaining your vape.
In addition to wax pens there are portable vaporizers designed to work with wax called “e-nails.” E-nails are electronic versions of the traditional dab rig that use electricity rather than a blowtorch to heat the nail. E-nails are generally small boxes with a hose extending from one end, distinct from wax vape pens both in aesthetic and design.
How to Choose a Wax Vape Pen
Choosing a wax vaporizer can seem overwhelming since there are so many different brands and models on the market. However, if you stick to analyzing a handful of key factors when making your decision, the choice becomes much easier. Also consider what aspects of a vape session are most important to you and keep those in mind when comparing wax vapes.
- Battery: When choosing a vaporizer, it’s important to check both the milliamp hours (mAh) and voltage of the battery. The mAh will indicate how long the battery will last without a charge; generally, the higher the mAh, the longer the battery life. Voltage indicates how powerful the battery is, which translates to the temperature the heating element can reach. Multiple voltage settings indicate that the battery supports multiple temperature settings.
- Oven: As the component that holds your material, the oven or chamber is critically important. Not only is its construction material an important indicator of its quality, you should also consider how much material it can hold at a time.
- Heating method: There are two main types of heating methods that vaporizers use today: conduction heating and convection heating. Conduction heating involves a physical connection between the material and heating element, directly transferring heat to vaporize the wax. Convection heating involves the flow of hot air through the device; this hot air is what vaporizes your material as you inhale on the mouthpiece.
- Temperature setting: The ideal range for vaporizing wax is between 315°F and 450°F, so you’ll want to look for a device with at least one setting in this range. Some devices only offer a single temperature setting while others support temperature adjustment to the precise degree. Temperature control is important because different types of wax have different boiling points, as do the various compounds found within the extracts. Too hot, and you may alter the flavor of the vapor.
- Additional features: Consider any added functionality a device might offer. For example, some vaporizers can connect with mobile devices via Bluetooth®, which opens a wide range of additional features, including usage monitoring, advanced temperature control, device lock, flavor profiles, and more.
- Price: As with any item you buy, price is a key consideration when selecting a vaporizer. Refrain from selecting a device on price alone because the lowest cost vape might not be effective and the highest cost vape might have unnecessary bells and whistles. Consider the price of a device alongside all the features that matter most to you to strike a balance between functionality and cost.
Popular Wax Pens
There are many wax pens on the market today, which can make it difficult to narrow down the field even when you’ve paid close attention to the factors mentioned above. This list of popular devices will help get you started in your search for the right wax pen for you.
- Kandypens Crystal: The Kandypens Crystal features an all-quartz coil-less heating element and is made of stainless steel. It boasts a 900mAh battery with four temperature settings. The Kandypens Crystal currently retails at $134.97.
- MigVapor Sol E-Nectar Wax Pen: The Sol E-Nectar Wax Pen from MigVapor is designed to heat quickly across three temperature settings. It contains a quartz heating element with interchangeable ceramic and dual rod can coils. Currently, the device retails at $79.95.
- MigVapor Wasp: The MigVapor Wasp is a simple, straightforward device that gets the job done. It’s a highly portable dab pen that contains a carborundum and stainless-steel coil. It also employs a 900mAh battery, which provides for long-lasting use. The MigVapor Wasp is currently available for $59.95.
- ATMAN Ceramic Pen With Triple-Coil Quartz Heating Element: The ATMAN Ceramic Pen with Triple-Coil Heating Element is not as well known as the other dab pens on this list. The triple quartz coil is designed to preserve flavor. Easy to use and load with material, the ATMAN is currently available for $39.99.
- LINX Hypnos Zero: The LINX Hypnos Zero is one of the original wax vape pens on the market. It includes a ceramic plate heating element and four different temperature settings. It is also one of the most compact wax vape pens out there, measuring just 10 centimeters. It is also made of a highly durable stainless steel. Currently, the LINX Hypnos Zero is available for $79.99.
Portable Wax Vaporizers
Wax pens tend to be narrow in their usage, so if you want a more versatile experience, consider using a portable vaporizer. Many portable vaporizers offer expanded functionality over vape pens. For example, the PAX 3 works with cannabis flower and oil in addition to wax. It also connects to the PAX Mobile application, which offers precise temperature control and usage monitoring features. The PAX 3 offers a 3500mAh battery that supports long-lasting sessions and a rapid heat-up time of 22 seconds.
If you’re a casual or infrequent vaper, a wax vape pen might be a good option for you. However, if you want to upgrade to a more comprehensive device, consider choosing a portable vaporizer that is compatible with wax. Making the right call is as easy as understanding what features are most important to your desired vape experience.
Wax Pens: Modern Vaping Innovation for Concentrates
Electronic vaporizers continue to improve in terms of sophistication and the quality of their components. Wax vape pens and portable vaporizers make the consumption of wax concentrates more accessible, portable, and cleaner than conventional methods. Whether you like wax extracts for their potency, flavor, or overall experience, a wax vape pen or portable vaporizer could soon become your go-to companion for quality wax-based sessions.