Hemp Oil Vape: Beginner’s Guide
There’s a dizzying number of ways to consume hemp CBD, depending on how many types of hemp CBD products your state allows: as a tincture, infused in a gummy, worn as a patch. For those who already vape, though, incorporating hemp CBD is as easy as adding to your current routine so long as it is legal. Hemp oil comes in many forms fit for vaping, but with an array of overlapping and confusing terminology out there, it can be difficult and even a little intimidating to navigate this world of new products. If you’re new to hemp CBD or to vaping, this beginner’s guide will take you through the basics of what you need to know.
What is Hemp Oil?
Hemp oil contains concentrated amounts of hemp-derived Cannabidiol (CBD). These small bottles are often outfitted with a dropper for easy removal and measuring. Unlike the faced Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), hemp CBD derived from any cultivar of the cannabis plant does not have an intoxicating effect. “Hemp oil” and “hemp CBD oil” are terms often used interchangeably in the marketplace, even though the product is the same.
Hemp CBD is derived from industrial hemp plants, a cultivar of the cannabis plant which does not contain high levels of THC but has high CBD concentrations. In fact, by law, this plant must contain 0.3% or less THC to be considered industrial hemp. Extracts such as hemp CBD oil from industrial hemp were formally de-scheduled cannabis sativa L. plant with the 2018 Farm Bill, which clarified that industrial hemp was not considered “marijuana extracts” under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). As a result of that legislation, the hemp-derived CBD industry has grown by impressive leaps and bounds.
Hemp oil can be purchased in three varieties: full-spectrum extract, broad-spectrum extract, and isolate. Full-spectrum is the extract as it is directly from industrial hemp: all cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids are present in this substance, including trace amounts of naturally-occurring THC. For those consumers who prefer no THC whatsoever, broad spectrum and isolate are both viable options. Broad spectrum retains the terpenes and flavonoids but removes every bit of THC. Isolate removes all materials from the extract that are not Cannabidiol. The result is a powder-like substance which contains 99.9% hemp CBD isolate.
Hemp oil should not be confused with hemp seed oil. The latter is a cooking and dressing oil with a nutty taste. This oil is sourced from hemp seeds; it does not contain any cannabinoids whatsoever.
Can you Vape Hemp Oil?
Vaping hemp oil is a common way to ingest hemp CBD in states that permit doing so. Hemp oils might be available as a “vape liquid” placed in a refillable cartridge, or purchased in a one-time-use, pre-filled cartridge. Disposable, one-time hemp oil vape pens may also be an option.
It is important to look for a hemp oil that is formulated specifically for vaping, if your state allows hemp CBD products of this type. This material is considerably thinner than hemp oil tinctures and is meant for use in a vaporizer. If you are unsure if your product is made for vaping, carefully inspect the package for terms such as “vape oil” or “vape liquid,” look for vape cartridges pre-filled with hemp oil, or reach out to the manufacturer.
How to Vape Hemp Oil
First, decide which type of vaping setup you’d like to use. If you already vape and own a vape pen or vape mod, then you might be able to purchase the correct supplies and materials to use hemp oil with those devices. If you are new to vaping, you may want to consider reviewing hemp CBD oil pens that can support your desired vape session.
Second, do your research. Ask tough questions about where the hemp CBD is sourced and how it’s processed. Closely examine ingredient labels for anything potentially unnecessary. Reputable brands will publish the results of third-party lab testing which checks for potency and contaminants. These tests are often available for viewing and download on the brand’s website.
Once you’ve selected a product and device, set up your vape according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Depending on the product you’ve purchased, the setup may be slightly different. For example, a pre-filled vape cartridge or pod just needs to be attached to a charged vape pen. A refillable device will need the extra step to add hemp CBD to the chamber. A disposable vape pen will require no setup at all!
Finally, it’s time to give your hemp CBD vape a spin. Go slowly at first, drawing on the device for a few seconds. Wait a few minutes and assess how you feel before continuing your session. It’s important to get a grasp on how hemp oil affects you before consuming more.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Vaping Device for Hemp Oil
- Battery life: How long can you go between charges? The vaping device’s battery life is key to a longer session. The size of the battery determines how many sessions you can engage in without recharging. It also drives the temperature of the device, activating the heating element within.
- Ease of use: How complicated is your device? Many vape pens are straightforward, with one button to hold while drawing. Some may need some extra adjustments to truly perfect, while a device like a disposable vape pen requires no learning whatsoever.
- Discretion: The small profile and lightweight design of the majority of vape pens means that you can engage in a session with full discretion. The small size fits in the palm of your hand with ease and can be stashed in a pocket or bag when not in use. Lower temperatures produce fewer clouds, too, so you may want a vaping device with multiple temperature settings, or at least one setting low enough to minimize clouds.
- Additional features: How do you plan to use your hemp oil vape? Some vape pens have basic one-button functionality and only a single or small handful of temperature settings. Others have a range of features accessible with a smart device and a mobile app. These additional features can include precise temperature controls and device locks for safety.
- Price: How much do you want to spend? Starting from just a few dollars, hemp oil vape pen price depends on all the factors above. A basic device with a smaller battery will be cheapest, while advanced functionality will be more expensive.
Incorporating Hemp Oil into Your Routine
While some folks will prefer the classic tincture or a cooling topical, those who already vape may find incorporating hemp oil into their routines to be simple and easily accessible in states that permit hemp CBD vaping products, with little learning curve. The many options available in legal markets, from hemp CBD vaping liquid, to pre-filled hemp CBD oil cartridges, means that veteran vapers can easily incorporate the hemp CBD vape material that fits their existing setup. Whether you prefer the basic, one-step setup of a pre-filled cartridge or have a more advanced device that requires refilling, there’s an option available for you!